Henna is a popular way to dye your hair. Not only will it add a nice color of red to most hair colors, but it also conditions your hair. Henna is all natural so it will not harm your hair like the dyes found in stores today. Some other benefits of henna as a hair color is that it strengthens your hair, makes it easier to manage, and can even get rid of dandruff.
1. Henna is red in its natural state. With the addition of walnut plant dye or coffee, henna can be brown. With the addition of chamomile, saffron, or senna, you can use henna to dye your hair blonde. If using just the pure henna, blondes will gain a natural red color, redheads will have a boost of color, brunettes will get an auburn color, but those with a full head of grey hair will only get orange hair. If you have ten percent or less grey hair, henna will dye the grey hair so that it looks like highlights.
2. Buy henna from a special store online, a beauty store, or possibly even a Middle Eastern specialty shop. You will need 100 grams of henna if you have short hair, 200 grams for collar length hair, 300 grams for shoulder hair, and 500 grams for waist length hair. You will be able to buy the henna prepared or in a powder which will come with directions on how to prepare.
3. You may want a friend to help you because henna can get really messy. Drape your shoulders with a towel and wear plastic gloves. It is a good idea to do a test on hair from your hair brush before actually dying your hair. Start at the bottom layers of your hair and work your way up. Keep hair not ready to be dyed in a clip on top of your head. Apply the henna paste to thin strips of hair at a time. Apply evenly. Keep doing this until all your hair is covered.
4. Wrap your hair in saran wrap or a shower cap. Now you must wait two to four hours.
5. Rinse your hair with cold water and a good conditioner. This will seal the hair shaft and make it shiny and healthy looking. Rinse until all of the paste is out.
6. Now that your hair is colored with henna, you must avoid any chemical processing and products, such as getting your hair chemically straightened or permed or putting dye in your hair. This will counteract the henna and damage the hair. Your hair can be safely dyed over and over with henna to achieve your desired color.
Me and My 4C || Natural hair
2 hours ago