*Build Your Natural Hair Care Library*

Monday, February 16, 2009

My First Henna Treatment

I did my first henna treatment this weekend and that straw-like after effect that everyone talks about is nothing but the truth.

I mixed 100 grams of henna with 1 1/2 cups of cool green tea (recommended by Curly Nikki)and olive oil. I forgot to add the honey. I let the henna sit for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I applied the henna with a applicator brush. I left it in my hair of about 5 1/2 hours.

I was able to quickly combat it by doing a deep conditioning treament. I used Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose mixed with olive oil to dentangle and section while wet then left it on for a good 30 minutes after covering with a plastic cap and toboggan.

Prior to the deep conditioning treatment, I rinsed the henna out in the shower and shampooed with Karen's Body Beautiful Shampoo Bar in Juicy.

For moisture, I added Qhemets Biologic Alma/Olive Heavy Cream and Hydrating Balm and sealed with a homemade herb-infused oil.

I could immediately tell the difference in my hair before and after the henna treatment. I had very little shedding.

I'm curious as to whether the hair always feels like straw post henna or does it eventually get used to it. Hmmm!!!

It wasn't nearly as messy or hard to rinse out as people made it out to be.

I love the red highlight that it added to my two tone hair and will begin doing henna treatments every four weeks for three months to see if there is a remarkable difference in my hair as proclaimed by others.

1 comment:

  1. I can't say my hair over got over the straw-like effect, but I've found a work around! When I rinse, I get the bulk of henna mud out of my hair first then rub in a pretty large amount of 2-in-one shampoo conditioner then finish the rinse. It helps the henna rinse out easier and seems to relieve the hay-hair problem for the most part. I'm pretty hung up on keeping my hair chemical free. Rinsing out my henna is the only time I use store bought shampoo any more, so you can probably tell, I really believe it helps a lot!

    ReplyDelete